About Mossy Creek
Who We Are
What We Do
Church History Published
About Mossy Creek Church
Since 1768 Presbyterians in northwestern Augusta County have gathered to worship God beside the stream which has given name to the surrounding community. Scotch-Irish settlers in the region united in a request to Hanover Presbytery for the organization of a congregation in order to avoid the hardships of travel to and from worship services at the Augusta Stone and Cooks Creek Meeting House. The request was granted and the Reverend Thomas Jackson became the first pastor. He served not only the congregation at Mossy Creek, but also congregations at Cooks Creek, Linville Creek, and Peaked Mountain.
The congregation at Mossy Creek has occupied five church buildings since its organization. The first structure was located one-fourth mile upstream from the present house of worship. The three subsequent buildings were located near the existing gothic structure which was erected in 1882.
Through the years individuals active in the social, economic, and political affairs of the area have worshipped at Mossy Creek. Several members fought in the American War for Independence, and twenty-seven men gave their lives to the Confederate cause during the Civil War. Jed Hotchkiss, who wa a native of New York and who served as a cartographer with General Stonewall Jackson, was a member of the congregation. He organized and operated the Mossy Creek Academy during the eighteen fifties. Four members of the congregation represented the region in the Virginia General Assembly during the 19th century.
In 2000, a history of the church was published. Included was information taken from existing gravestones in the old cemetery and the membership rolls of the church. This year, 2008, the congregation will observe the 240th anniversary of its founding in 1768.
The visitor's attention is directed to several points of interest. The manse located near the church was constructed in 1872 and with modifications has been in use since that time. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1962 and the Church School portion of the church building was added in 1950. The older portion of the cemetery contains many gravestones of historical interest.